Will you be studying at SLU Madrid for more than one semester?
According to Spanish authorities you have THIRTY days after entering any country of the European Union, including Spain
– to apply for your NIE Tarjeta de Residencia
(residency card). The Spanish government takes seriously documentation for non-Spanish citizens. Make certain that your documents are up-to-date and in order.
The Spanish authorities may modify the process to obtain a Tarjeta de Residencia
at any time. The University is not notified by the Spanish authorities when these changes occur; however, the information on this page is updated as soon as SLU-Madrid learns of any modifications.
1. If you currently hold a 90-day student visa and need to obtain a tarjeta de residencia (residency card)
, please click here >>
NOTE: The University only assists registered students by having a third party take all the documentation mentioned on the previous .pdf document to the Police when they apply for your first tarjeta de residencia
. It is the student´s responsibility to follow all the rest of processes and procedures stated the Spanish authorities about this matter as well as for keeping copies of all the documentation handed in to SLU-Madrid.
2. If you need to renew your tarjeta de residencia
, please click here >>
Documents supporting the renewal of your tarjeta de residencia
can be delivered to C/ García de Paredes, 65 no earlier than 60 days prior to the card’s expiration date, and no later than 90 days after it expires
. If the last day to deliver documents lands on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, deliver the documents to García de Paredes, 65 no later than the workday prior to its expiration.
- If you do not deliver all of the necessary documentation in time, you will have to start the whole visa process over from scratch in your home country!
- If you are in the process of renewing your residency card and must travel outside of the Schengen area, you are responsible for obtaining a re-entry permit (autorización de regreso). For more information, click here.
- Due to changing laws in the renewal process, the University does not take any responsibility for the outcome of this process. SLU-Madrid can only advise students as to the processes that currently they are aware of. It is the student´s responsibility to complete the renewal process and apply for an autorización de regreso according to the Spanish laws in a timely manner. Sometimes our students have found an immigration lawyer to be helpful with these processes.
Students who have had their Tarjeta de Estudiante
lost or stolen should first file a police report (denuncia
), fill out form EX-17
, and deliver a copy of the police report along with two copies of EX-17 and passport to Avenida de los Poblados, s/n [Metro: Aluche (Line 5)] from Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM. At this visit you will be given a follow-up appointment.
For more information about tarjeta de estudiante
or autorización de regreso
matters, please contact Student Life (firstname.lastname@example.org