Degrees & Programs
MA in Spanish
Admissions Requirements and Application Procedures
Applications are evaluated by faculty members for evidence of preparation for advanced study of literature and the likelihood of academic success. Candidates should hold an undergraduate degree in Spanish (or equivalent).
All application materials (with the exception of transcripts and GRE scores) can be uploaded to the system following the instructions in the online application form. The transcripts must be sent to the following address:
Saint Louis University
221 N. Grand Blvd., Suite 150
St. Louis, MO 63103
Once the materials have been received, a telephone interview will be held to assess the candidate's oral proficiency.
Master’s application deadlines:
Non-European Union students
- Fall Semester: rolling admissions until May 31; priority deadline for Assistantship and Scholarship applications: March 1
- Spring Semester: rolling admissions until October 31; priority deadline for Assistantship and Scholarship applications: September 1
- Summer Session
- April 30 if you plan to stay on for the Fall Semester
- May 31 for strictly summer applicants
should keep in mind that acquiring a student visa can take 2 to 3 months and the process can begin only after you have been admitted and have confirmed your acceptance. Student Visa Information. More information about student visa
applying for long stay visas will now be asked to present a FBI background check. Students will be responsible for obtaining this background check. Make sure you order it at least 4 months before you plan to arrive to Madrid or you will not get your visa on time. For more information, click here
US Visiting students who plan to be in Madrid for only one semester do not need long stay visas and therefore do not need the FBI background check.
In order for your application to be complete, we need to receive the following materials:
- On-line Application Form
- Original academic transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic and professional experience and potential.
- Graduate Record Examination or Miller Analogies Test Scores
- A Statement of Purpose of 500 words that addresses your intellectual and professional goals
- A CV
- An academic writing sample in Spanish (5-8 pages; should include citations and references)
- U.S. $40 Application Fee ($55 starting Spring 2013), payable online. Make sure you select the "SLU Madrid" program at the top of the page.
Saint Louis University-Madrid Campus
Avenida del Valle, 34
28003 Madrid Spain
Fax: +34 91 554 62 02