Degrees & Programs
Hamish Binns, M.A., Coordinator
Aprenda Português você também! For speakers of Spanish, learning Portuguese is relatively easy. They are two sister languages; both have Latin roots, and thus have a lot of similarities. Studying Portuguese in Madrid is an attractive option, as you are close to Portugal, making it an easy travel destination. By learning Portuguese while perfecting your Spanish, you will also speak both languages of Latin America. The variety of Portuguese taught here at Saint Louis University-Madrid Campus is that of Brazil. We also offer an exchange with the Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC), where two Saint Louis University-Madrid Campus students can attend each semester. Portuguese is the sixth most spoken language, and Brazil is the largest Portuguese-speaking country, with over 180 million inhabitants. There are approximately 250 million Portuguese speakers in the world, so you have 250 million reasons to learn Portuguese!
Courses taught at Saint Louis University – Madrid Campus:
- PG-110 – Communicating in Portuguese I – 3 credits – An initiation course into Portuguese, with first steps towards a basic level.
- PG-115 – Communicating in Portuguese II – 3 credits – Following on 110, this course provides a basic level in Portuguese. Students carry out short conversations.
- PG-110-115 – Communicating in Portuguese I and II (Intensive Course) – 6 credits – An intensive course which provides all of the basic level in one semester. Students carry out short conversations.
- PG-210-310 – Intermediate Portuguese (Intensive Course) – 6 credits – Upon completion of this intensive course, students can communicate with ease in Portuguese.
- PG-293 – Introduction to Brazilian and Portuguese Literature – 3 credits – Survey of literary works written in Portuguese, by authors from Brazil, Portugal and Africa.
- PG-293 – Portuguese Communication and Culture – 3 credits – Brazilian arte, literature and history, and practice in communication in Portuguese.
- PG-315 – Oral Communicating in Portuguese – 3 credits – Focus on the spoken language and on expanding vocabulary.
- ¡Bate-papo! Every semester we organize weekly talks between the students in the Portuguese classes and with Portuguese native speakers from the Campus. These are relaxed chats, where you can practice what you learned in class, while having a good time and making new friends.
- Annual trip to Lisbon, where we immerse ourselves totally in the Portuguese language and culture.