At Saint Louis University – Madrid Campus, the academic advising process is considered a very important aspect of the educational experience. Throughout their time at SLU, students work closely with advisors when choosing their classes, deciding on a major and beginning the transition to life after graduation.
Goals of Academic Advising
- To assist students in their understanding of academic requirements
- To nurture intellectual maturation and self-confidence
- To encourage students to take an active role in the advisement process
- To foster a positive working relationship between students, advisors and faculty
- To individualize support for students in degree and course-planning
- To be consistent in the academic advising experience for all students
- To provide stronger collaboration and referrals between academic advisors and other offices including Career Services.
Role of Academic Advising
- Aid students in developmental transitions, especially from secondary school to college
- Plan and approve course registration for students
- Clarify the program/curriculum requirements particularly as they relate to the Jesuit model of education and the Five Dimensions
- Introduce the students to resources for academic and career success
Components of our Advising Model
- The First- and Second- Year Advisor supports individualized educational planning and encourages strategies for academic and transitional success.
- Faculty Advisors (for students who have completed 59 credit hours) continue to help with educational planning and also offer a disciplinary perspective on identifying students’ interests and information on specific majors and careers.
- The Career Counselor helps students to identify career options and to obtain internships/work experience in those fields.
- Students are responsible for active participation in the advising process.
Through collaboration with all aspects of the advising process, students achieve the support needed for successful transition, academic success, and choice of major and career.
Five Dimensions of the Saint Louis University Experience
The Academic Advising Office is located in Padre Arrupe Hall, on the 1st Floor.
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-18:00
More Advising Information:
- Who is my advisor?
- Registration Information and Tips
- Advising Forms
- Transfer credit and AP/IB/CLEP credit for High School Students
- English Placement Information
- The Liberal Arts Core Curriculum
- Major/Minor Requirements & Checklists
- Graduation Requirements
- Learning Resources